Can I appeal a grading decision?

The examiner is the highest authority when it comes to setting the grades, which means you cannot appeal the decision. However, students have the right to request a reassessment. Such a request is reviewed by the examiner, who will decide whether the grade should be changed or not (according to the Swedish legislation, Högskoleförordningen, chapter 6). 

You must include which and why some questions or parts of the exam should be reassessed within the request. Remember to use your student email address when writing to your examiner. Obvious errors such as incorrect writing or counting, or in the reporting into LADOK can be corrected in either positive or negative direction. A grade of Pass can be changed into Fail if cheating or otherwise misleading conduct has occurred.

Reassessment of grading decisions according to the legislation:

(Rough translation into English from the Swedish legislation and the local regulations at LiU)

  • Högskoleförordningen (1993:100) 6 chap. 24 § If an examiner finds that a grading decision is obviously erroneous due to new circumstances or other reasons, he or she shall change the decision, if it can be done quickly and without difficulty and if it does not mean that the grade is lowered. Regulation (2006:1053).
  • Guidelines for education and examination for first-cycle and second-cycle education at Linköping University (Ref. No. LIU-2019-00920) Section 2.4.1. When a student requests rectification or reassessment (change) of a grade, a decision (acceptance or rejection of the request) is always to be given.

Rectifications and reassessments (changes) that are to the detriment of a student must be carried out with great care and solely when it is a question of obvious cases. Change to the detriment of a student can become relevant if a student has cheated on a test. Such change takes place with the support of Section 37, Administrative Procedure Act.

If an examiner is considering correcting or changing a decision to the detriment of a student, consultation should take place with an employee at the Legal Office. Before a decision of rectification or reassessment (change) is made, the student must be given the opportunity to make a statement.

A pass grade cannot be changed to a fail grade following a student request.

What is the role of an examiner?
Do I have the right to change to another examiner?
How many opportunities do I have to take an exam?
Which rules and regulations exist regarding examinations?
When and how will I get the information about the examination?
Can the exam be scheduled at any time?
Does the examiner know who has written the exam?
What happens if I havent handed in a home exam on time?
What happens if I hand in an essay/thesis after the deadline has passed?
How long before a re-examination does the university need to inform about the date for the re-examination?
How short can the time span be between the exam and the re-exam?
Can I, as a student, recall an exam that has been handed in?
Which rules apply if my examiner and the supervisor have different opinions regarding the grade of my thesis?
What happens if I fail my education in the workplace (VFU) two times?
Do all the documents need to be openly accessible?
How is an examination formed/created?
Is it allowed to examinate one part of the course twice?
What happens if anything should happen to my exam that is out of my control?
How long time does my examiner have to assess the examination and set the grade?
What kind of feedback do I have the right to when I get my examination results back?
What kind of help can I get if I fail an exam?
How are exams inspected to make sure they keep the correct level?
How many scheduled hours are there per week?
What should be included in a course plan and education plan?
What information can I find in a course plan?
Is the examiner obligated to inform the students before the exam about how the assessment will be done and for example tell the students if there there are questions which are more important than others for the end result?
Can I demand a reassessment of my exam?
I have forgotten to sign up for the exam but I still want to take it, am I allowed to do this?
How can my schedule look when on education in the workplace (VFU)?

Consensus är kåren för dig som läser vid Medicinska fakulteten i Linköping och Norrköping. Alla medlemmar har rätt att ge sin åsikt om vad kåren ska arbeta med för det är medlemmarna som är Consensus.




 Svart logga linkopingkommun farg liggande

Kontakta oss

Besöks- & postadress Linköping

Consensus Medicinska fakultetens studentkår
Kårhus Örat, US-området ingång 73
581 85 Linköping

Besöksadress Norrköping

Kungsgatan 40, Kårhus Trappan

Postadress Norrköping

Kårhuset Trappan
601 74 Norrköping

Org. nr


Copyright © 2024 Consensus - Alla rättigheter reserverade